About Me

My photo
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I am a mother of three great kids. I am naturally passionate, artistic, athletic, and articulate. Every experience in my life has led to me being the person I am... which I am usually very proud of.

Tuesday 30 August 2011

Squeezing Through

Arg... The snake! One of my biggest failures so far. I'm not sure if I had some kind of traumatic experience that crept back up into my conscience when I had to do the snake drill... but I was scared shit less. For anyone reading who doesn't know what the snake is I can explain:

1. Skaters form a single line within arms length apart, while roller skating.
2. The person in the back of the line begins to weave in and out of the line.
3. That person joins the front of the line and continues in pace with the other skaters.
4. The next person weaves in and out and the next and the next...

I have a few things to say about this drill!

First, It's not only scary to be the weaver, but it's kind of scary being in the pace line in the first place. You have to skate at more or less the same speed as the other skater's in the line, and allow the weaver's enough room to get through. So... while travelling in this pace line you have to be aware of the person directly in front of you and the weaver (I try not to pay attention to the girl behind me because she should be watching me, right?), and stay upright on your skates.

Second, The weaving part is really hard for me... maybe because I haven't practiced it enough, or maybe it's just something I'm going to have to work harder to get it. For the most part when I skate I feel confident, but when doing this drill, I crumble a little. I guess everyone has their weaknesses.

Third, travelling in a line like that with roller skates on travelling as fast as we do, it's not that safe. It's one of the most uncomfortable situations I've been in on roller skates so far. We had a few falls tonight, but all in all, it was good. I have yet to see a pile up, but I'm sure I will. Fresh Meat seems like just the place it could happen! Pads, pads, and more pads.. GO PADS!!

Last, the good thing about doing snake drills, is that it really prepares you for what's to come on the track come game night.... form, focus, and control along with the ability to react to anything that comes your way. The snake teaches you all of those things and more. I have yet to find a drill that does that much for a players ability.

As much as I may be scared of (or bad at) snake drills. I love them all the same.

3 comments:

  1. We do this drill every practice. We add to it by adding other skills. Whips, hip whips, hitting with hips and shoulders. It can be pretty intimidating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, love the new pink background!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did hip whips last night.. it was crazy! LOL Thank You Nance!!

    ReplyDelete