About Me

My photo
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I am a mother of three great kids. I am naturally passionate, artistic, athletic, and articulate. Every experience in my life has led to me being the person I am... which I am usually very proud of.

Thursday 25 August 2011

Learning The Game

So far the closest I have got to seeing a real game was a scrimmage. It was the first time I had ever seen derby... live anyway. Up close and personal. I really just wanted to see if it was something I was interested in doing it... little did I know I would want to strap on a pair of skates right then and there!! I sat there the whole scrimmage dying to get out and skate the track like those ladies (and a few gents) were!! I realized I couldn't just get up and in there, but man I was fighting my "I want it now" attitude that Tuesday night! When I think back to what I felt when they first started the scrimmage it really makes me laugh out loud! I had no idea what was going on. All I could see was that 90% of them were skating real slow and in some kind of pack, and the others were skating faster around the track and wearing funny looking hats over their helmets! They were getting points somehow, but it wasn't until about an hour into the scrimmage that I even kinda figured out what was going on. I do have a video and a few pics, but I can't seem to get them off my phone or camera! As soon as I figure it out I'll have pics and videos to put on here as well!

What I learned: The pack are the blockers and they are trying to keep the jammer (the one going faster with the funny hat) from getting points by passing the members of the other team legally. So in one hour with a little bit of an explanation from the girl who invited me there (Mortu Mary, who is one of the baddest chicks I've ever met!), I did catch on and it was much more exciting. But honestly... it was almost as much fun watching when I didn't know all that.

I am soooo excited for the game on Saturday. I am going to have my first experience with a real game! I don't get to be in the game yet.. but I have offered to help so I can keep learning. I have read the rules and know what I have to do to benchmark, but I'm still pretty confused about how an actual game works. I feel that's an important think to know before I get into one! I have no idea what I will even be doing, nut I'm a smart girl... I know I can be helpful, even if I end up being the water girl or something like that. At least I will be down on the floor watching and learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment