About Me

My photo
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I am a mother of three great kids. I am naturally passionate, artistic, athletic, and articulate. Every experience in my life has led to me being the person I am... which I am usually very proud of.

Friday 26 August 2011

The Girls!

I'd like to talk about some of the girls I've met so far. I don't want to talk behind their backs, so I really hope they are reading. Is it so bad if it's all good things I have to say? The thing is, is that it is a big part of the wonderful experience I am having. The other derby girls I can see becoming extremely important people in my life. After all, these are going to be my team-mates, my mentors, my friends.

The first person I met was Mortu Mary (I have mentioned her in a previous post). She hooked me up with this shit!! When I watched her play the game... WOW She really is one of the baddest chicks I have ever met! By baddest,  I mean as a derby girl. . . She has this way, she is perfectly focused, aggressive, and graceful on her skates. With a wicked personality to boot! I felt like that before I even knew what was going on in the game, and I still feel that way now that I (kinda) know what's going on in the game.

The second person I met was Unchained Malady. She was the first girl to talk to me when I went to Fresh Meat that very first Monday. That in itself will always hold a special place in my heart (sorry, mushy I know). Like the other league skaters I've met, she glides effortlessly on her skates, aware and ready to take on any challenge thrown her way. At the first two practices she went out of her way to make sure I knew what I was doing. She came to me several times just to see if I was feeling comfortable or had any questions. Thanks Malady!!

Then I met Twisted Throttle! From what I heard she is the warm-up/cool down/exercise/stretching guru! I was kinda confused about how to stretch the parts of my body that were starting to hurt after only about 5 minutes of skating ( the fronts of my legs were killing me). She showed me how to stretch all that out and be ready to go around the track a few dozen more times. I was also pleased to see a very experienced skater built somewhat like me, only taller (since I was afraid I wasn't big enough to be in roller derby). And when I saw her skate... wow! I was so jealous of her abilities, I wanted to be like that... right now! HAHA I kind of wanted to be her for a minute. 

The next week there were different coaches there. One of them was Lacee Long Stalkin'. Right away Lacee saw something in me. I'm not sure if she saw this in many other girls. She kept pushing me to keep skating and skate the right way. As I was rounding the track she would skate up to me and give me several words of wisdom... things to work on.. things that would suit me as a skater.  And every time I turned around there she was, pushing me. She's a natural leader which makes her a fantastic coach!!  As like the other experienced girls I was flabbergasted at how easy she make everything look, the skating, and the stopping (stopping is hard). She cruises the track without incident, without a flaw.

The last girl to make an impression on me so far was Lady Lady Laceration! Right away she reminded me of a drill Sargent, or a general(in a good way of course!) Another natural born leader in my eyes. Not only did she tell all of us new skaters what to do, but she made sure she showed us how to do it, in slow motion. Kinda like a step-by-step instruction booklet! (that's pretty hard to do on skates by the way) She has the best way of showing rookie skaters like me the very best way to do anything derby related. I was practicing my crossovers (I'm still pretty bad at them) and she noticed I was struggling a little... Right away she came to me and asked, "Are you trying to do crossovers?" She showed me how to do them properly in her special slow-mo way. I had no idea I was doing it so wrong. The new way will be much easier once I can get it! Thanks Lady!! You really helped me out.

I have yet to meet many of the awesome skaters that belong to the RDRDA, but something tells me I'm gonna like them all!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Serious Lee! I love your blog. I have been in derby now for about 3 months. I am on a newly forming team that is still trying to recruit enough girls. We have no coach and two girls who have been on other teams but don't always practice. We have had some visitors help us, our last from the Rose City Rollers league. I was wondering if you could share how you start warm-ups and stretching. We usually skate to warm up and then stretch. I have a problem with my calves starting to feel like lead after only about 5 laps. I fall behind and get frustrated because while everyone else seems to have no problem with 35 laps before stretching, I have to stop and try to work on stretching my calves in the middle of our warm-up. Would really appreciate some advice. Thanks, Nance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks for mentioning me Lee. Funny thing is I have, in the past, had been a drill sargent of sorts. Odd to think back at the things I have been.

    I am glad that I can explain things well. Back when RDRDA started we just jumped into all of it and months later we had to re-learn how to skate because none of us had proper form. Fun, fun...

    Keep at it Lee, its only a matter of time before you are kicking ass as a Nightshade.

    ReplyDelete