About Me

My photo
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I am a mother of three great kids. I am naturally passionate, artistic, athletic, and articulate. Every experience in my life has led to me being the person I am... which I am usually very proud of.

Tuesday 23 August 2011

Practice ~Sigh~ I think I'm In Love!

The first time I put on a pair of roller skates, I knew right away that I was kind of a natural. While my friends were getting bruises on their hips and pulling leg and groin muscles while they learned, I seemed to glide flawlessly along the eight wheels that were supporting me. Although I obviously noticed my talent I never really put much thought into it. . . until now!

When I strapped a pair of skates back on, after a 22 year break, I was expecting to be shaky, unstable, and awkward. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that wasn't the case at all. I guess it is just like riding a bike! I certainly had a few falls the first couple times back on skates, oddly enough most of them seem to happen when I'm just standing around, but for the most part I found myself feeling confident in my gear (Even though I'm sure my pads were on backwards and upside down for the first hour of the first practice), something I definitely wasn't expecting.

I had no problem just skating at first and was pretty content with that, but roller derby isn't just skating I'm finding out. It's so much more. The first 8 sentences that came out of the coaches mouth were like another language to me... toe stop, tee stop, knee drop, jammer start, plow stop, hockey stop, crossover?? All of the sudden I felt like I was on another planet. In a way I still do. Roller Derby is several things, easy is not one of them!

In the first two practices I have managed to learn the meaning to all the foreign words I had heard and realized I must get my own gear. The stench of the girls before me on my pads was a bit more than I wanted to be able to handle... week two I brought my own wrist guards, that strangely enough I already owned due to a chronic pain issue, but they smelled way better! Next... elbow pads, knee pads and skates! I can't possibly learn properly with the skates they have there. I am thankful and appreciative they are there, don't get me wrong, but my own gear would help. How much is that gonna cost?

I want to take a minute to tell all the people who think I'm crazy and just gonna get hurt to fuck right off! As i just mentioned I have chronic pain. It's pretty manageable most of the time, I just feel pain differently than most people I think. My nerves are so damaged that I have pain that will probably never go away in my hands, arms, shoulders, hips, and legs. Believe it or not derby has actually helped already. Between the stretching we do, the flexibility I am gaining, and building the muscle to support all my painful areas, there is no doubt in my mind that derby is going to help with my pain, not cause it or make it worse. And by the way... chronic pain doesn't equal fragile! I am anything but fragile. I have seen how tall and solid the other girls are and I am not afraid! Not only am I not afraid, I'm really confident that if I do it right I may even have a slight advantage over the bigger girls who may not be as agile as us little girls. Okay, maybe I'm a little delusional, but I can dream can't I?

I have a few bruises already... two on my left hip and two on my left hand(One from this week and one from last week, I fell the same way) and all the muscles I never knew I had are yelling at me saying "stop!", But I'm not gonna! In addition to this being the best workout I have ever had, It is also the most fun I have ever had. Who knew?

Roller derby practice, after only two weeks, has become the new love of my life. The coaches are all really excited about me and see my potential. It makes me feel like I could be a part of something bigger, and be a valuable asset to my team. Who doesn't like to feel like they are needed, wanted, and important!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE it! Its such a sexy sport too, all those fishnets and pure adrenaline, stunning!! Im sure you will be an asset as most roller derby I have seen has been a perfect balance of body types and power plays..cant wait to check you out in your gear!! Awesome. Leslie xo

    ReplyDelete