About Me

My photo
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I am a mother of three great kids. I am naturally passionate, artistic, athletic, and articulate. Every experience in my life has led to me being the person I am... which I am usually very proud of.

Saturday 27 August 2011

Derby Wear

The first practice I wore my super tight black work jeans, which were actually flexible enough to skate AND fall in (I would wear them again if I had to), a lime green shirt (which was not a good idea! Everyone else was wearing purple or black, the colors of both of the RDRDA teams), and all my gear was on backwards... I'm sure.

Finding something to wear to practice has been especially difficult! As I looked in my drawers and in boxes I never planned to open, looking for anything resembling workout wear, I found a pair of footed tights, black  with white bones going all the way up and down the front and back... and a pair of really stupid tan pantyhose. I didn't want to show up in tan pantyhose I knew that much! I felt ridiculous enough that I had to wear enough clothing to protect myself, but tight enough to know that my wheels weren't going to get caught in my clothes, whether I was standing, or skating, or falling, or getting up. Roller derby+loose clothing=probable disaster when you are a rookie!

The male skaters seem to be able to wear loose type sweats and bear legs with cargo shorts (pockets and all) with no problem, no care in the world, cruising around the track, skimming their way through the pack with mere inches (That's plenty enough to get by without incident) between him and the other players. Watching the men jamming during the scrimmage was amazing. When I first started watching and I didn't know what was going on, I could tell that the male players were much more aggressive than the ladies... dare I even say faster?? I don't really want to say the men are stronger and faster than the women.... after I watch a few bouts of each I will update my opinion on that. Either way, the guys were fascinating to watch... Let me just say this.... They didn't look gay at all (like I expected  them to for some stupid reason), they looked sleek, and manly, and powerful. Cheers to the guys!!

Oh.. back to my outfit! I found a pair of white tights in the meantime... but black and white looks too much like a referee... although if I wore all white (which I've told i look good doing) is it so much like a ref? I tried it all on, and yes I still looked too much like a ref... if any of you disagree please let me know. Then I found about three pairs of VERY thick black leotards, too thick to exercise in. I figured they would be too warm. I dropped them from the option list right away. So, next I found In my Nine year old daughters drawer (because I thought I'd never wear them) a pair of black leotards. (And those were the only leggings in there... I'm sure she has more, where the hell did they all go??) As a dancer, the difference between leotards and tights is that leotards are a solid color (thick fabric) and tights are somewhat see through (like pantyhose). They actually had stirrups on the feet, even though they were purchased brand new in January. I grabbed all 3 leggings I was considering. I brought them up to my room and tried them on one by one with a matching top... they were all different. I like the bones... but I didn't want to try too hard to be roller derby chick right away.. I thought I would ease into it a little more... I chose to wear the black leotards, dark navy blue short shorts, and a black shirt. Easy peasy right?

I had to go a few places before derby after I left home, and I really wasn't prepared for everyone to ask about what I was wearing, so I threw on a pair of jeans over my derby uniform. The other girls show up in their uniform... why can't I? I still haven't figured this one out yet.

Next week I'll wear my bones tights... my bathing suit bottoms (which are black spandex short shorts), and a black tank top. That's gonna be my game uniform, for sure. I like being unique. Lot's of the other girls have ripped tights, stripped socks, or fishnet stockings. Me I'm a flat black or bones kinda girl. If I can keep them not ripped (sorry, bad grammar), I'll keep wearing them... anyone know where I can get another pair of tights with bones on them if they do rip?? Is there some kind of special store I don't know about? I have fishnet stockings, and I'm totally willing to wear them... I am gonna ease into it though. It'll be easier for me that way. I'm kinda scared to just dive into that world, even after being a dancer and wearing that all on stage. I'm getting there though.

Can't wait to find more derby wear! Fun!





3 comments:

  1. I have a section of my closet that is derby appropriate clothing only. However, it is really hard not to let the Derby attire merge. After skating and thinking "yeah, this purple and black striped tights are great with my booty shorts" it can be hard to remember why I shouldn't go grocery shopping right after practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started skating in baggy t shirts and athletic shorts like the guys wear and have slowly letting the fishnets and booty shorts filter into my wardrobe. I now have a hard time finding something to wear that isn't derby. Going to practice or the game, I've had some uncomfortable moments at gas stations :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post and please provide more information. Thanks for sharing.
    derby shirts and jeans

    ReplyDelete