About Me

My photo
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I am a mother of three great kids. I am naturally passionate, artistic, athletic, and articulate. Every experience in my life has led to me being the person I am... which I am usually very proud of.

Monday 5 December 2011

SERIOUS LEE

"If a rose by any other name could smell as sweet"
Again as I titled one of my first posts, What's in a name?  I feel the need to explain my name.


At first I imagined my derby name to be fierce and bold and vicious... in the three months I have been involved in derby, my choice of derby name has evolved into something I believe will be 'ep mlalic'... seriously! Haha. Truth be known, I am 100% certain (after a ridiculous amount of contemplation) that the name I registered is absolutely, without any doubt, the right name for me. The funny thing is the reactions I've got from telling people what my name is. They are all completely different. . .

First of all, thank you Malady for approving the name with enthusiasm. I got plenty of mixed feedback when I introduced myself as Serious Lee, sometimes just Serious. The first time I met Buster, he has the most perplexed look on his face when I introduced myself as Serious Lee. I also actually had people ask.... "Seriously?", and I love it. I have also had a tremendous amount of support and reassurance that I'm not completely off my rocker, one being Malady, and other skaters/friends/family, who I respect. They love it too! Support goes a LONG way. Thank you!! I've found my name is also a conversation piece... tonight after the scrimmage for instance, as soon as I brought up the "Buster incident", everyone joined in and started talking about my name. Turns out people get confused and think the ref's are saying "seriously".... Oops, but how I love that it makes me interesting!

It also suits me better than anything else I could ever imagine. It shows almost every facet of my personality if you look hard enough. The obvious is that I'm serious, which I talked about in my last post, but there are several underlying connections. It shows my creative side... I could have been Terrible Trina, that would have been acceptable, but I chose to be a little more creative. It also shows my intelligent side... I put a lot of thought into the whole process, and I believe it shows. It also shows my Witty side... which I have to admit is a bit scarce, yet it's there, and when I use it, it seems to work. And for the people that really know me, it shows my passionate side.... Yes I'm serious, but when I'm serious, I'm serious... not just serious, but SERIOUS. I am scared to admit that I love roller derby more than other things I should love more, I think you get the picture.

I can say one thing... I am still, after 3 months of owning it, I'm still loving the name Serious Lee. I truly believe I always will. No matter how many "Buster's" I come across!

3 comments:

  1. Jsyk, a perplexed expression is mostly how Buster looks. It took him 10 years to figure out that I'm joking (all the time)... imagine how many bewildered looks I've suffered over the years. Actually, it might be more like a 10 year long look of confusion :D So don't take it personally.

    I'm glad you're happy with your derby name - it's excellent and you should be proud of yourself. You did good work at the scrimmage tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your name. And making the refs say "Seriously" is a side bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering if you take guest or sponsorship posts! I am interested in working with yoU! I love your blog! Please send me an email camille.s.mitchell@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete