About Me

My photo
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I am a mother of three great kids. I am naturally passionate, artistic, athletic, and articulate. Every experience in my life has led to me being the person I am... which I am usually very proud of.

Tuesday 23 August 2011

After Shocks

I just found out how much roller skates cost... It really hurt! I t looks like it's gonna cost me between $90.00 and $170.00. I'm sure I can get a new spare tire for that (something I have been putting off because I can't spend the money). The reality of it is that I want a pair of roller skates more than I want a new spare tire. I'm sure I have enough friends that if I needed a tire or a tow i could get one. Hmmm... Is it possible to like derby too much?? Nope! I'm getting those skates! Even if I have to organize a fundraiser! I don't just want the skates... I need the skates! Otherwise I can get all the pads I need for about $25.00. I'm okay with that. Helmet and mouth guard were about $30.00 together. One thing I didn't expect... the cost. This is all the gear I have so far.



Every once in a while I look around at practice and think "what the fuck am I doing? These girls are wicked skaters with some serious skills!" Then there I am with my cheap helmet, old wrist guards, and a mouth guard I can't wear because it hurts (I've since learned you can get ones that mold to your mouth). I am grateful to be able to use their gear when I go, but those skates are so old that I'm sure It would improve my skills if I had new ones. All the coaches from both the RDRDA teams (even if they have only skated for a year) have been 100% willing to help, answer any questions, and display proper skating skills like a step-by-step video. Not only that, they skate like the wind... focused, controlled, and with purpose. I figure if they can do it, I can do it.

Another thing I overlooked a little was how shocked my body was going to be! i knew I was gonna be sore and all, but I never expected to feel quite the way I'm feeling. I have to say, it's nothing like I've ever felt before! I had no idea I had so many muscles in the front of my legs that I never use otherwise. I felt that within the first 5 minutes of being on my skates! Oh... I hate squats... I thought that was pretty ironic... that's all we do for two hours is squat!! Well I guess I'll have to learn to like it. I love how 48 hours after practice it hurts the most. I have learned to laugh about that already, maybe because I'm used to pain? Although the pain in my hip (right where your leg bends in the front) I will never get used to. Every once in a while I move my wrist the wrong way (lesson learned) and the big ass bruise on my left hip is a little more sore than I'd like it to be. 

All this being said... I didn't once ask myself "is it worth it?" But if I did, the answer would be "yes!". Getting a two hour workout once a week, skating on my own time, helping with the games (for now), watching (soon to be playing) games and scrimmages, being part of a team, and meeting a group of... from what I can see... talented, energetic, caring, fun, and all around great girls that I can see being my friends. Ya, I'd say it's all worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I remember going a bit breathless the first time I looked up derby skates. Compared to some sports - like water skiing or hockey - it's actually not an hugely expensive set up, but that doesn't make it feel any better on the wallet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes you can get some great kit deals on kijiji? It's worth checking out - I noticed that after try-outs here, a lot of "gently used" skates got listed!

    ReplyDelete