About Me

My photo
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I am a mother of three great kids. I am naturally passionate, artistic, athletic, and articulate. Every experience in my life has led to me being the person I am... which I am usually very proud of.

Thursday 25 August 2011

No Pain, No Gain!

Well, it's Thursday... three days after practice... I am still pretty sore. I know once my body gets used to doing what it's doing it won't be so bad. Yesterday was the worst for some reason. I felt like I had been hit by a truck! I could only turn my head so far to the right, I felt the burn in my arms every time I lifted them up, I started feeling the big bruise on my left hip pretty good, and it killed my legs to walk up and down stairs! I wonder if I'm pushing myself too hard right off the get go. Maybe I should be easing into this thing a little more. No. I don't think that's the problem. The problem is I am extremely out of shape! I'm not injured in any way, just sore from using muscles my body didn't know I had.

When I was in my pain group we learned a lot about muscles... What makes them sore, what makes them weak, and what makes them strong. If you don't use muscles they actually go dormant. If you use your muscles, they will recruit dormant muscles and make them active to support the activity you are doing. My exercise coach has arthritis in her knees really bad, and day after day, here she is, squatting, walking running. Her philosophy is that the more she strengthens the muscles in her knees, the more they will be able to support her arthritic bones and joints. Hmmm ... I thought it made sense anyway! If I do it right, I'll have all kinds of muscle to support the rest of my aging body! Fitness is the word. I have to get fit again! I'm sure when I do it won't hurt anymore.

These are all the reasons why I must keep this up, full speed ahead. The more I work the faster my body will adjust. I'm so sorry body, I don't want to hurt you! Remember the saying "no pain, no gain"? That's my truth right now and I'm okay with it. Well, actually, I'm not just okay with it, I'm excited about it. Even though it may seem I am complaining or whining about it, I am not at all. Just simply saying how it is. I'm excited about getting fit and in shape again like I was before I had my kids. Even if that means enduring a little pain along the way! I am not afraid. I am embracing this wicked, wacky, and wild world of roller derby. Embracing the pain, the pleasure, and the people. I really am in love!

No comments:

Post a Comment