About Me

My photo
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I am a mother of three great kids. I am naturally passionate, artistic, athletic, and articulate. Every experience in my life has led to me being the person I am... which I am usually very proud of.

Monday 12 September 2011

Yes... I Finally Have A Pair Of Skates To Call My Own... I Also Call Them "My Lovely's"

So... I finally got my own skates... and my own gear! It seems like it took forever! I just want to throw out a huge thank you to my wonderful boyfriend, Dan, who bought my skates! I wouldn't have them yet without his generosity. I'm a very lucky derby girl!



As soon as I got my skates I had to try them on to see if they fit. They fit perfectly! I was fortunate enough to have a lovely lady, Teri, let me try her skates on at the last practice. It's a damn good thing I did too because otherwise I'd have ordered the wrong size! Since her size three's were a tad bit small I decided to order a size four and hope for the best.

Once I put them on.. they didn't come off for 3 days... except to drive, sleep and work. Everything else I did, I did with my skates on my feet! I made meals, cleaned the house, had a few friends come over, went up and down stairs, and even went to the bathroom with them on! The way I see it, I'm not just breaking in my skates, I'm getting my feet used to them too (breaking my feet in). Yes, by the third day my feet hurt a little, but all for a great cause!

As I was skating around my house relentlessly, I discovered I can do EVERYTHING better in my new skates. I can stop better, skate better, and turn better (I can pretty much do pirouettes in my skates!) I absolutely can't wait to get out there on a real track and see what my skates can really do!! 30 laps in 5 minutes... here I come!!

I'm buying outdoor wheels for my skates tonight too! Lacee is going to show me how to switch them out so I can skate outside. It all seems to be coming together for me now.. .I'm well on my way to becoming the derby queen I want to be.

1 comment:

  1. I remember trying to learn to transition in my hallway, the only piece of lino in my house at the time and catching a skate on a register, and pinging my head off of both walls before hitting the floor. I recommend wearing your helmet around the house too - sounds unpleasant, but so is staining your furniture with blood stains :D

    ps, my word verification is: Jammon :)

    ReplyDelete