About Me

My photo
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I am a mother of three great kids. I am naturally passionate, artistic, athletic, and articulate. Every experience in my life has led to me being the person I am... which I am usually very proud of.

Friday 23 September 2011

Fun Skate Was, Well, Really Fun!

Several of the RDRDA skaters have been helping out to turn an old arena into the RDRDA Rollerdome. Although I wasn't there for every night of the renovations, I do feel like I was there as much as I could be to help get regular practice start as soon as possible. The work that everyone did is unbelievable! The floor couldn't be cleaner and smoother. Good job everyone!!

I finally got to take my skates and cruise on the track! Up until tonight I had only my small linoleum floor to skate on. I didn't get to go very fast in the confined spaces around my house... although I did get lots of practice maneuvering and stopping! The cement floor downstairs was a little more like the one at the Rollerdome, but it's often strewed with toys, books, and storage items.

Putting on all my gear for the first time at the arena, I felt a surge of energy run through me. I was excited and scared... I was scared that the confidence I felt on my lino floors at home would turn into a sticky mess on the arena floor. I knew my wheels were great on the lino, but what about cement? Turns out it is pretty different. Skating out there for the first time I felt slow and a little awkward. I was lucky enough to have Scourge Her (the other Trina) skate at the same pace as me and keep me company as I learned my new skates. She is another fellow freshie. She will be benchmarking with me at the end of October.

After a while, I really started getting the feel of my skates... I started going faster, and faster. The only downside to that was that I wasn't perfectly comfortable on them for about 15 minutes, and there were a lot of people on the track. It was a fun skate, so they were also putting out obstacles, jumping mats, and a ball! At first I was scared of the ball (with or without the new skates), but I got brave and kicked it a few times. I also zig-zaged around the obstacles (I had to go around every second one, but I did it). Once there were fewer people on the track, I decided to get some practice on my lap speed. Now, this depends on several things... first, I wasn't sure yet if I could do a proper crossover in my new skates, hell, I wasn't sure I could do a proper crossover at all... second, my skates felt really sticky and slow, I thought I might just move the wrong way and have my wheel stick in an awkward position (this possibly means a big fall if at a high speed)... third, there were still about 8 people on the track to maneuver around at a high speed. Lets not forget, I'm a freshie (inexperienced). All this being said... I didn't fall once!

I met some new people tonight. Everyone seems really willing to accept me as a new skater. I have to say, they have made me feel very welcome! All of them. I got wowed by a few little ladies (and gents)... honestly, these girls (and guys) are amazing! Some I have already met... Mortu Mary, Nomad, and Ginger... and some I just met tonight... Bert, Gigi, Bitch Slap, and TyeDie (hope I spelled that right). I'm sorry if I forgot anyone that thinks they should be on the list... it's been a long day.

1 comment:

  1. When you get a chance, grab Ali or Ginger to look over your skates and make sure that everything is properly set. Your trucks are probably a little too tight and your should be checking your wheels at the start of every skate. It was good to see you out for the reopening - I'm looking forward to see you out there skating!

    ReplyDelete