About Me

My photo
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I am a mother of three great kids. I am naturally passionate, artistic, athletic, and articulate. Every experience in my life has led to me being the person I am... which I am usually very proud of.

Monday 24 October 2011

Skate And Destroy Indeed!

I passed my benchmarks!! I still have to write the test... but I know I can do it. At first I was nervous when the time came to display my skills, while someone was watching my every move, but after I got going I just focused and the nerves went away. I messed up a few times, but all in all I felt really good about what I was accomplishing when it counted. I also made 26 and a half laps! I only needed 25, so I was really proud of myself. I had a killer cramp in my left hip for the last half of my laps, but I pushed through it and did what I set out to do. Yay me!

Passing my benchmarks allowed me to play in my first rookie bout ever! I thought I was nervous for benchmarking.... not even close to how nervous I was for my first game... especially my first jam. I was still a bit unsure of all the rules. I had a hard time remembering everything I had learned and read when I was out there in the middle of the action. The skating part was no problem... the game play was the tough part. Knowing about strategy and the rules is really important in this game. I'm sorry team, all the information I had flew out of my head when the whistle blew. I got 4 penalties! I'm not even sure what some of them were for. The first one was a false start and the last one was for cutting the track. I'll do better next time.

Luckily, the other jammers on my team were exceptional for rookies. We also had some really great blockers to boss us around. And the coaches, Razor and Hollywood, were fantastic. I couldn't have asked for better coaches. Props ladies!! So, my team won our game. Anybody remember what the score was?

I learned a lot about myself during that game. I learned that I may not be the awesome jammer I thought I was going to be. I'm not saying i can't be a jammer, I'm definitely going to keep working on it, but in the meantime, I think I'll make a fine blocker. I even landed a few solid hits while blocking. Yes, I really did. i also received a few solid hits as a jammer. I also seem to be pretty good at being aware of whats going on all around me. I surprised myself a little with that. it's funny how sometimes you misjudge yourself.

Yes, it hurt, and yes, I have bruises. Other than the pain when I lay on my left hip from my huge bruise and the fact that my my thighs hurt like you wouldn't believe... I feel great! I wouldn't change any of it!

I have to throw a big shout out to the team from RDRDA and other helpers who made Operation Skate And Destroy a major success! You guys were all great. I just tried to list all the people who I know made this boot camp so awesome, but there is no way I can. Almost everyone involved with RDRDA helped out in one way or another. I'm so proud to say that I belong to such an awesome team!

Skate And Destroy Boot camp - Oct 22 and 23, 2011. My first bout!

No comments:

Post a Comment